Pictures

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Blog 1- Over all thoughts

The book The Sledding Hill is a very good book for young adults to be reading. It combines many of the key topics that are a part of young adult literature.

Over all I thought The Sledding Hill was and okay book. There were some parts that I thought were funny. And the characters were somewhat easy to relate to. But I really didn’t like the second half of the book as much as the first half. It seemed like nothing really new was added to the characters. I probably won’t read this book again but it defiantly wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.


One thing that bugged me was: What did the title have to do with the story? Eddie and Billy met maybe once or twice at the sledding hill and that wasn’t even real because Billy was dead. I wish there was a better title that made a little more sense.
My favorite part of the book was probably when Montana got up at the board meeting and argued against her father. When Montana came in her Leviticus Sucks t-shirt I could just imagine that look that would have been on her dads face.

Another really interesting part of the book is how Mr. Crutcher made himself a character in his own book. He also included a real issue that that is affecting some of the other books that he had written in the past.

I also liked when Eddie was giving his testimonial to become baptized. If I were sitting in that church I would have probably thought that he was psycho because he was calling himself Jesus. But that just makes it funnier to imagine the scene.

The one part that I really did not like was the ending. It made no sense that Billy could send a letter to Chris Crutcher if he was dead. I also didn’t really like how Eddie just accepted that he was talking to his dead best friend. Seriously how crazy is that, if I were Eddie it would have taken me a lot longer to believe I was talking to a dead person. Also I have never read a book with a narrator that is at all like the narrator of this book. In The Sledding Hill Eddie and Billy are best friends. But one day when Billy gets mad he kicks a pile of Sheetrock and it falls and breaks his neck. End of Billy right? You would think so, but the thing is Billy is actually the narrator! Even before he dies in the story Billy introduces himself as the narrator.

3 comments:

Lyssa Hemi said...

THAT WAS B-E-A-UTIFUL!!!!

snitchcatcher51 said...

Steph it was a fun blog to read. I agree with you about how Billy was the narrator. I didn't like that at all especially, as you pointed out, that it seems that he starts to tell the story when he's alive and he continues the story when he's dead. I also agree this book wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I definately wouldn't read it and I don't think I'd recommend it either. I also didn't get the title, I thought it was a stupid title.

Steph said...

Julia- So we both agree that it was really stupid that Crutcher had Billy as the narrator. But if it wasn't Billy who would it be? Maybe Eddie himself? Also I was wondering if you had any ideas for a better title; because I don't. Thanks for the comment.